Scaling Website Traffic Spikes During Election Season
About Travis County Clerk’s Office
The Travis County Clerk’s Office is in charge of managing Real Property and many other public records, distributing marriage licenses, organizing elections, and acts as the Clerk of Court for the civil and criminal County Courts-at-Law, the Statutory Probate Court, and the Travis County Commissioners Court.
• Travis County Clerk’s Office needed to meet their scalability requirements for website traffic spikes
• Travis County Clerk’s Office battled with website outages from on-premises server performance
• County residents couldn’t receive election results or updates
• Travis County Clerk’s Office needed a cloud services brokerage to address strict security requirements including the handling of election data
- Architect a cloud solution that gives Travis County scalable data storage
- Prevent outages due to server performance when website traffic increases i.e. Election season
- Improve monthly spend optimization
- Optimize cloud management, load balance, ease of use using the platform
Handled website traffic spike 25x of a typical day
• Auto Scaling
• Powered by EC2 Instances
• Virtualized Firewalls
DoubleHorn migrated the Travis County Clerk’s Office website to AWS, running on multiple Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (Amazon EC2) instances. The solution also takes advantage of Auto Scaling, which automatically scales compute capacity for the site up or down based on traffic increases or decreases.
Additionally, DoubleHorn deployed virtualized firewalls and advanced proxy techniques to help the Clerk’s Office meet its compliance requirements.
- Capacity to easily support massive web traffic spikes during elections
- Enhanced security utilizing AWS security best practices during the migration and implemented a powerful security solution that increased perimeter security.
- Reduced operating costs by running website in the cloud
- Ensure reliability of website for the thousands of county residents who use it every day
DoubleHorn is a leading cloud services brokerage and data analytics company. Our proprietary cloud brokerage platform allows our clients to manage all aspects of their cloud accounts across providers in one easy to use web interface. In addition, we launched our new rich data analytics and proprietary research division Liftr Cloud Insights.
Liftr Cloud Insights conducts deep research into cloud technologies, cloud services, and cloud industry trends to provide the broader cloud ecosystem with real-time insight, analysis, and data about specific cloud service providers (CSPs) as well as the cloud industry overall. Liftr Cloud Insights strives to be as independent and unbiased as possible, so readers and viewers can make sound operational and financial decisions untainted by sales and marketing messages.
DoubleHorn is also an authorized reseller of AWS, AWS GovCloud, Azure, Azure Government, Google Cloud Platform, Alibaba Cloud, IBM Cloud, and Rackspace. We are able to leverage our wholesale pricing discounts for public cloud for solutions that we architect for you.